Westfield High School’s Model United Nations Club won the Outstanding Delegation Award for excelling in all parts of the annual conference held in Hershey, Pennsylvania from January 4 – 6. Approximately 2,000 students from 80 Mid-Atlantic schools attended the conference.
“The students participated in wide ranging debates that were the culmination of months of research and preparation,” said Daniel Farabaugh, co-adviser of the WHS Model UN along with David Della Fera.
Many Westfield High School students received individual recognitions, including:
- Meghan Johnson, Nicolas Guerrerio, Wyatt Miller, Alexander McGrail and Adam Schwartz were recognized as top debaters and named Premier Diplomats.
- Acknowledged for an Outstanding First Year were Ashleigh Bahadur, Jordyn Ives, John DeSena, Shirzad Mustafa, Gabriella Scipioni, and Olivia Bergman.
- Caroline Schafer, Alexandra Sica, Caroline Gallagher and Anna Saber received recognition for Outstanding Country Research Paper.
- Officers for this year’s conference were Julia Colleran, Tomas Taaffe, Luke Mizus, Justin Joseph, Brianna Vaca, Andrew Zanfagna, and Austin Chen
- Officers chosen to plan, organize and run committees for next year’s conference are Brianna Vaca, Jordan Horowitz, Adam Schwartz, Brad Hornbeck, Olivia Conti, Eric Mordkovich, and Julia Colleran.
Elisa Saint-Denis, Mark Johnson, and Julia Colleran were selected to attend the Conference on National Affairs, a two-week conference in North Carolina attended by representatives from all 50 states.
The Westfield High School Model UN program is run in conjunction with the Westfield Area YMCA.